Monday, June 1, 2009

TIger Anthropology

Now I know why they call it "The Orange Dome." The Princeton campus is so self-contained that the rest of the world just drops away when you are there, especially at night. You walk through endless courtyards, walkways, and arches and really never have to leave for much. It's like an academic theme-park that seems to go on forever.

I had this ridiculous spangled wrist-band that let me into any reunion. The reunions take place inside these hastily-assembled fenced-in areas that make the campus look like Fort Ticonderoga. They are divided by year or years of graduations. You are supposed to come back every five years or so.

First, with my young friend and former Evelyn Place roomer Christian (Princeton 03)as a guide, we tried the 20th, since my one Princeton townie friend to go to the university was in that class. No luck among the returnees, half of whom looked as though they had dropped tousle-haired off a sailboat in a Land's End catalog.

Then to the 25th, which had terrible music, but through Christian I met a fascinating girl from New Orleans (too bad she was there with her boyfriend). I stayed, shouting fruitlessly into my cell to try to connect with a friend on staff at the Physics Department. All I got as a response was, not surprisingly, music and crowd noise from somewhere. The next day I found him and the Great Pizza War commenced(more on that later).

Went briefly to try to find Christian among the youngsters at the 5th and 10th reunion. No luck, but a great band with four black female singers and seemingly 10 musicians of various stripes. I was reminded of how much I miss good live music since I don't go into Philly or NY much anymore.

Since I never feel the compulsion to stay out till very late much anymore, I left and hobbled on home.

No comments: