Wednesday, November 25, 2009

There's Pictures of Mirrors on the Wall

I may have misheard him, but I swear this lyric lies in the center of the intro to Bruce Springsteen's "Candy's Room."
I have a bone to pick with Springsteen detractors. This somehow encompasses most friends and hipster types. Springsteen has written in the American vernacular (Woody Guthrie, Bob Seeger, Bob Dylan) for years, yet has been denied hipster cred by the very honesty of his words.
He is a fake, I'm told, a multi-milliniare writing about working-class blues. To which I respond, at least he addresses the facts. Too many hipster types reject the Springer viscerally, thinking his music unprogressive and derivative and sentimental. Good. Tangential, musically abstruse groups like Pavement have their place, but are ultimately a product of their times. The Springer remains. And the emotions of what it means to be a young man in America, like "Badlands," will always need to be addressed.*

*Lights out tonight
trouble in the heartland
there's a head-on collision
smashing in my guts, man
I'm caught in a cross-fire
But I don't understand

1 comment:

Brad said...

Hello, Tourguide! I agree with everything you said about The Boss. I think that the lyric is "In Candy's Room there are pictures of her heroes on the wall."