Friday, November 28, 2008

Generation Hex

From what I remember, there were only two movies made about Generation X, during about the only time the media actually feigned an interest in us. That would be roughly circa 1991-1994.
If "Reality Bites" is any indication of that interest, be glad that we were quickly trampled by the children of the boomers (Gen Y?) and went back to being roundly ignored, which was the way we liked it.
The main question I had about "Bites" is why would anyone set a film about any kind of trend (besides "Urban Cowboy")in Houston? Did some guy pitching movies say "Houston is the next Seattle" and some kind of producers, uh, bit?
Seattle was indeed featured in "Singles," a movie I have little memory of, except for "Touch Me I'm Dick," which Matt Dillon's band did, and is a great takeoff of Mudhoney's "Touch Me I'm Sick."
But the cliche winner went to the first season of "Melrose Place," in which they actually tried to make it a sincere twentysomething show.
One character approached the other, a temp receptionist or something, and she told him "Hey, do you think this McJob's my Nirvana?"
Douglas Copeland wept.

2 comments:

Rambler said...

I would still argue that we aren't gen x. We're not boomers, and not x. We're the blank generation!!!

tourguide said...

That one was taken, as all of the good ones always are.