Thursday, May 15, 2008

Jealous, Jealous Again

All right, I confess. I just wanted to be Hollywood for a few hours. I could picture it in my mind. The modernist glassy house sticking out from the hills. The lit-up pool looking out over a universe of light down in the LA basin. The women, the drugs, the meaningless sex. A private debauchery that was never busted by the cops.
I had seen it in dozens of TV shows and movies, and I pestered my friend to find one, dammit.
Instead, we toured the "lounges" (rarely bars) that I had seen on "swingers." A line that pops out at me is when the guy from Anaheim pulls out a gun on some other white punks. His entourage asks him if he's crazy. He says that they don't know how it is out here.
Yeah, the east coast newcomers said, here you can avoid trouble, there trouble finds you. And it so true its strange. Everyone goes out far from South Central. Blacks seem hardly noticeable at all.
At some point in this country, it can hopefully be that way everywhere. Now you're considered stupid or not "street smart" if you are victimized.
There needs to be no good reason to be hyper-aware of the presence of young black men. Now,unfortunately, there are good reasons. But those good reasons are almost all bad.

No comments: