Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Philly History 102

The director of Philadelphia's tourism agency wants all guides to pass a basic proficiency exam (have I written on this before?).
As the Tourguide, I have taken and passed in a breeze the tests in New York and Washington. The questions are on the order of: what borough is Manhattan a part of?

In NY, the bureaucrat came out and said I'd scored about a 98 percent. So what? Its pass-fail. I didn't command any higher a salary than the guy who scored 71 percent.

The tourism director in Philly wrote down the real howlers that he heard. My favorite was that George Washington and Abraham Lincoln used to dine together at City Tavern.
First of all, that would have made Washington about 160 years old. Secondly, the circa 1773 tavern had been destroyed, only to be rebuilt as a tourist attraction about 100 years later.

All I can say is that it's a shame that the guide didn't note that Julius Caesar and Marcus Antonius broke bread there as well. What an orgy followed.

No comments: