Tuesday, May 12, 2009

schlock-o-rama

Help! I'm being surrounded by bad songs from thirty years ago. The house painters have a boom-box from which issues: the Bee Gees, Don Henley, bad Rod Stewart, and various and sundry awful songs of all stripes. It is like when I listened to WABC 77 New York when growing up.
Only a few more days. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the songs, as long as they're schlock. Today or from 30 years ago. They are different from each other only in their titles and year of issue: they have in common one thing; they suck. A lot.
On the other hand, there are songs which you thought you'd never hear again, and don't mind hearing since you haven't heard them in years: Summer of 69, Boys of Summer, Forever Jung (I mean young).
On the other hand, there are tunes which should be banned by the Geneva Convention on torture, like the one playing now. Jim Croce's mind-bendingly awful "Cat's in the Cradle." If I hear American Pie I'm going to start pulling down their ladders.
The unifying characteristic of all the tunes is this: you've heard it before, over and over again. A new tune is greeted like the Black Death.
"She Drives Me Crazy" (me too), then a (comparitively) new song! "you found me" (I don't know the band, weird that it's semi-new though cornballish). Have to admire the guy's work ethic, since last week was so rainy, it's now 6:45 eastern time.
The painter's truck is parked right in our front yard, so he can get the lift up to the third floor. Give me Sanctuary!
I guess the whole idea is to sing along to music you've heard so many times before. NTT snob David Brooks says that one difference between the middle and upper-middle class is that the latter is always looking for new experience, whereas the former is looking for what is familiar.
"I can dream about you (if I can't hold you tonight)" is playing. Please help me from jumping off the third floor balcony.

2 comments:

Maestro said...

Jim Croce was a gifted singer-songwriter who did not sing (or write) "Cat's in the Cradle." Harry Chapin did.

tourguide said...

My mistake. Know your schlock before you speak.